Monday, March 9, 2009

What's Masala You?

So what's the cure for utter disappointment when you've had a recipe go terribly wrong? An evening out with friends at a restaurant that knows how to do it right. After Tuesday's Chicken Vindaloo debacle, I found it very ironic when my girlfriends, Sarah and Kelly, suggested Indian food for our planned Thursday night out.

We arrived at Coromandel in Orange, with appetizing and aromatic smells welcoming us into the dining room. On Kelly's suggestion, I ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala. Now this is how the sauce in the recipe was supposed to look and taste. Cooked in a creamed tomato curry sauce, with chicken so tender and flavors I could barely describe. Along with the warm and toasty naan bread, the service was pleasant and the evening was very enjoyable. I can't wait to try something new from their menu and bring Matt along. He always enjoys trying something new.

Sarah & Kelly
Thanks for the evening out, ladies!


In order to prove to Dad that Indian food is worth further investigation, I saved the leftovers and brought them over to him on Friday for lunch. At first he was taken aback by the sauce's bright orange color, but I think he warmed up to the dish after a few tastes. After all, it had to be better than the onion and tomato puree that we had produced earlier in the week. Hopefully I'll be able to persuade him to accompany me to a lunch there sometime so we can try some thing a little more adventurous.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kath, nice recap. Also, a "must try" at Coromandel is the (Chicken) Murgh Shahi Khorma, which Sarah and I had. Delicious chicken cooked in a creamy pista and cashew sauce with a dash of saffron.

the Peshwari Naan is my favorite, stuffed w/nuts, raisens and paneer. Second fave is Garlic naan, made w/ butter, garlic and cilantro. Yummm...

Kathy said...

I definitely wanna try the garlic naan! Next time!

Unknown said...

It was great to spend Thursday night with you guys at Coromandel in Orange. Perfect suggestion Kelly! Kathy, next time I'll have to try what you had!

"Slim" said...

Yeah, thanks for the invite!

Indian food is my (our) new love. Obviously, with the new baby we wouldn't have been able to join you, but I can still be jealous! Damn you! Coromandel is AWESOME.

There is another Indian place that is on par, or BETTER than Coromandel. That's right. I said it. Better. I know Coromandel has been voted best in the state, and with good reason. But if you like Indian food, then a trip to Kolam in Newtown is in order. Simply phenomenal.

http://www.kolamrestaurant.com/

We heartily recommend the Masala Dosa or Mysore Dosa as an app, and the Kodi Vepudu. I've ordered the Lamb Phaal (the hottest thing on the menu) the past two times we've gone there and my stomach lining will never be the same. Despite my intestinal woes I have to say it's all good.

I have heard that there is actually a place better than Coromandel and Kolam put together. Whoa!?This has been confirmed by multiple sources. One day we WILL venture here...

http://www.thali.com/

Perhaps we can go together? A gastronomic field trip.

Hi Sarah! Hi Kelly!