Monday, March 23, 2009

St. Paddy's Day

As St. Patrick's Day was on a Tuesday this year, Dad and I were going to test out Corned Beef Hash. The day evolved into a family affair and Matt and his Mom, Carol, joined us for corned beef, boiled potatoes, carrots and cabbage. There was also plenty of Jewish Rye, mustard and horseradish for sandwiches with my mother's chocolate cake, and apple cake rounding out the evening.

Once Dad saw how much food we were making, it seemed that making hash would be overkill. So with plenty of corned beef, saved and stored, the hash is on deck for tomorrow's test kitchen. Stay tuned.


A special thanks to my mom, who kept us laughing all night. If tritaphan is the chemical ingredient in turkey that makes you sleepy, there must be some magical ingredient in corned beef that makes you giddy. Actually, that kind of explains the entire holiday: corned beef + beer = happy people. I haven't seen my mom laugh that hard or that much in a long time.

No comments: