Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Best Comfort Food



One of my favorite guilty pleasures for a quick dinner is nuggets and tots. I am a huge fan of the potato and applaud its versatility. Since we do our best to eat healthy, this meal is reserved for those days when there is nothing else left in the house or we're just being plain lazy and don't want to invent something for dinner. (Or any day when I actually exercise, since I can rationalize that I "earned" the nuggets by "pre-burning" the calories.)

We usually go with extra easy (READ: lazy) frozen brands where we can toss both nugs and tots on the same cookie sheet and wait for the oven buzzer to sound. Imagine my delight this past Sunday, when we indulged in homemade all-white meat chicken strips, breaded and fried by Matt with no help from me at all. Matt is mostly the breakfast guy because he prefers cooking simple meals thereby dinner usually falls on me. We cook together or I cook alone, but very rarely has he cooked by himself without me eventually butting in and taking over. I was ordered to stay out of the kitchen. From my spot on the couch, I yelled in a few times to make sure everything was okay and even though there was some concerned banging at one point, I was proud of myself that I did not butt in once. (Maybe once. There was flour all over the counter! I was just helping.)

Dinner was great! Just the lazy, comfort food we needed, dialed up a notch. Matt found a recipe online and made his own breading with half breads crumbs and half crumbed 7-grain bread. Of course, he made us cut into every piece and inspect it's level of done-ness before eating, but since I'm here to tell the tale, obviously it turned out alright.

No comments: