Friday, May 15, 2009

Why Not Salad Pizza?!

I know I'm not the only one who's ever heard of a salad pizza, but the concept was not easily accepted by Matt. What's not to like?! Underneath the healthier veggie layer lay a white pie made up of shredded mozzarella, dollops of ricotta, and smatterings of pesto. Also hidden amongst the leafy greens was some leftover turkey bacon, crumbled into pieces and a bunch of croutons.

First I prepared a Cesar salad with a Dole Light Cesar Salad kit, complete with croutons and dressing. I added some chopped tomato and turkey bacon. Then I baked the white pie on a pre-made pie crust (Thank you, Stop & Shop. I love these!) for ten minutes. When the pizza was done, I topped the entire crust with the salad and cut into quarters. It required a little balance to eat each slice without all the salad tumbling off but I think the taste of cold and warm elements together make for a nice combination.


Doesn't anyone remember the McDLT?! Keep the hot side hot and cool side cool?!
Am I dating myself?

All be it a slightly foreign idea for Matt who would have been just as happy with pizza and salad on the side, I thought it was a creative way to make a quick dinner. Just some pre-made helpful ingredients and some leftovers is sometimes all it takes to make a winner.

1 comment:

Matt said...

McDLT? Come on hon, you're not THAT old are you ;-)

As for the dish: I'll admit I was a bit unsure of it at first, but it wasn't bad. Of course, if given a choice between a sausage and olive pizza, and the salad pizza, I'd do the sausage and olive every time. But trying to be healthy means trying different ideas, and this one is a success because it is healthy and tasty and I will try it again.